The way to the brain is through the heart and senses
From the learner’s perspective, to get involved in learning means to abandon the passive role of the learner and to adopt an active role instead, by engaging with creativity, senses and emotions into the topic. The passion and the creativity put into the learning activity will help making this activity becoming a part of the learner's own experience, helping the learner in remembering and understanding the topic.
From the teacher or mentor perspective, a successful involvement of learners could be expressed as reaching the brain by activating the heart and the senses.
A powerful mean of activating learners is to have them describing and re-telling the topic that they are learning on from a particular perspective. By preparing an abstract, by applying the knowledge to an example or by using the knowledge to analyze and evaluate a particular situation. For instance in a learning situation about a company policy, a learner might be asked to analyze how the policy would apply to a particular situation (as in a simulation). In another example, for instance a learning situation about physics, a student might be asked to describe how a force would affect a system in a particular situation (apply the theory by predicting a result, and then verify the validity of the prediction).
Using Talking Video as a learning experience
The presentation is an interesting format as it stimulates learners to focus on several aspects, and developing related skills:
- Structure of the presentation, which helps the learner to structure her own knowledge on the topic
- Conciseness of the material presented, which helps the learner to sort and prioritize her knowledge on the topic
- Graphical aspects, which helps the learner to focus on analogical and associative thinking connecting the new knowledge with preexisting knowledge
- Provide a script for the presentation, which helps the learner to get a higher view over her own knowledge by making other skills (structure, choice of material and graphical aspects) cooperate as a single functional unit
SlideTalk is designed to hide all technical difficulties from the learner, helping to keep focus on creating, structuring and presenting content and removing distracting technical details.
More on SlideTalk as authoring tool for talking videos
- An introduction to SlideTalk and its different application areas.
- A tutorial on how to turn PowerPoint presentations into talking videos.
- An educational video about the theory of multiple intelligences by Howard Gardner and its applications and implications to education: